moringa

Saturday 30 June 2012

If I would tell you that science has discovered and characterized an amazing edible plant, loaded with most nutrients that we need (all essential amino acids, beneficial fats and omega oils, rich amounts of calcium and iron and many other vital minerals, as well as a wide variety and copious amounts of vitamins, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory substances) but very few calories attached to it, what would you say ? Wow - you would probably get immediately excited and start to look for it or try to find out more details. You would probably be thinking that such a treasure is to be found somewhere around the corner or news about it would abound in the health magazines, right? I guess that is how it should be but, as with so many other important but neglected issues today, Moringa did not capture yet too much attention from mass-media or the food and health press. And here is where I should start my hard work as a crusader for the “Miracle Tree”, or “Miracle Food” – Moringa.
Well, fair to say that this plant was known and used by some populations for thousands of years, but it has not really penetrated the Westerners markets yet, with few exceptions. Nevertheless, when I started to work in this project which culminated with the writing of the book “Miracle Tree”, I knew nothing about Moringa, despite my formal training in botany and plant pharmacology. No surprise here, science has described less than 1-2 % of all existing plants on the planet so far, but even on those described knowledge is rather incomplete. (I hope we will get to research most of these leafy Earth co-habitants and neighbors before we exterminate them by pollution or habitat disappearance!). The more I studied and researched Moringa, the more amazed and intrigued I was. The main question still obsesses me: WHY don’t’ we know more about this plant and why don’t we grow it or import it for daily availability? Let me present you quickly some facts and science about this plant and let you decide whether I am righteously intrigued and amazed or not.
moringa

0 comments:

Post a Comment